In the 2017-18 federal budget, a new temporary sponsored parent visa was announced – to be available from November 2017. However, the new visa which will allow migrants’ parents to stay in the country for extended periods has been delayed.
The Bill enabling the new visa to come into effect has not yet been approved by the Senate.
Here are the six must know facts about the new long stay visa for parents:.
- 3-year-visa will cost $5000, a 5-year-visa will cost $10,000 and a 10-year-visa will cost $20,000, with the opportunity of a single renewal for another five years at the same price.
- 15,000 people each year will be granted this long stay parent visa
- .Children/Sponsors will be required to pay for their parents’ private health insurance. The children will also need to act as financial guarantor on any extra healthcare costs their parents rack up in Australia.
- Those on the new visa will not be allowed to work, however, the government hopes they will take on family roles which would see “reduced pressure on childcare facilities.”
- Those sponsoring their parents for the new visa need to be Australian citizens or permanent residents, or “eligible New Zealand citizens”.
- The visa-holders would not be allowed to reapply beyond the 10 years and would have no pathway to permanent residency.
When the Senate passes this new legislation the new regulations will come into operation. There is no tight time-table to do this, so it will be a question of ‘watching this space’.